GREAT LESSONS FOR SALE

Kindergarten, First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Higher Education, Adult Education, Homeschooler, Staff - TeachersPayTeachers.com

Monday, January 4, 2016

Gamification Changing Education? Make it More Fun!

Gamification Changing Education?
Gamification has been on my list to implement in my class but I have a ways to go before I get there.  I found this article on gamification interesting as it helps to explain how to set up a gamification style classroom.  Overall I want my classes to be fun engaging and gamified by next year.
The article breaks down the gamification model into several different key components.  The first component is achievements and points.  Students can win stamps, points etc. in this type of setup for doing tasks or projects and earn badges as they advance.  Then there are levels or ranks that students achieve as the advance.  There are also leader boards that can be implemented so that students can see how they rank in the class. 

I actually have a leader board posted in my class for typing skills already and there are some students that are determined to stay on top even if they have to do a lot of practice typing at home.  What I lack is badges or rewards for achieving great milestones.  The article talked about future plugins to edublog or other websites that could award badges for achievements.  I think Edmodo may award badges so I will have to look into that as I use Edmodo a lot.  I have also seen some of my colleagues at other schools that have created websites with point systems and achievements, but it is not how I envision it.  I want it to be awesome and fun if I am going to put that much time into creating something.  I am still looking at moving to the gamification model, but need to think about it some more.      
Any ideas on how to kick off Gamification?              

No comments:

Post a Comment